50 Games Left
My last post was 112 games ago. A ton has happened and it has been another fantastic year to be a Rangers fan. Here are some bullet points:
- Yu Darvish debuted against the Mariners.
- Josh Hamilton was the AL Player of the Month (April, May).
- Matt Harrison has a stellar 1st half, shows Ace capability.
- Craig “Kitten Face” Gentry shows he can be more than a pinch runner.
- Josh Hamilton gets more All Star votes than anyone in the history of fan voting.
- 8 Rangers make the AL All Start team. (Hambone, Nap, Kins, Elvis, Beltre, Harry, Joe Nathan, and Yu.)
- Neftali Feliz and Colby Lewis are both shut down for the entire season with injuries.
- The #FreeLeonys and #FreeMikeOlt campaigns both result in call-ups.
- Ryan Dempster and Geo Soto become Rangers at the trade deadline.
There has been a good number of other story lines this season. But as it stands today, August 12th, 2012, the Rangers are 5.5 games up on the Oakland A’s and 7 up on the Pre-Season World Series favorite LA Angels.
With 50 games left, we are projected to end the season with a 95-67 record 8 games up on Oak and 9 games up on LAA. We have a 92.5% chance of making the playoffs per ESPN. I think that is extremely conservative considering the Angels can’t seem to take a series from the Rangers and I still have trouble imagining the A’s continuing their phenomenal play.
If the season ended today, we would hold the #2 seed and play the #3 seeded White Sox who has beaten us 6 of 9 games this season. I still give us the edge in October though, just based off home field advantage and depth. We are only 1 game back of the Yankees for the top seed in the AL, which would mean we would play the Winner of the Wildcard 1 game playoff. This would be extremely interesting, seeing as that team would have already used their #1 pitcher.
Lots of fun stuff to come for sure.